my thoughts on the goodness of life...

Friday, January 11, 2008

Unforseen Treasures



It never ceases to amaze me how I find Christ in the most unlikely of places...

As we bussed it downtown this afternoon to Jacob's Well, I tried to prepare myself for all the unpredictable adventures that were soon to take place. I prayed in spite of the uncertainty, asking to be a light in the darkness. I felt what could be described as a 'holy assurance' that His light would indeed shine.

We rounded up the troops and I was assigned to deliver food and visit 3 native ladies; shut-ins that rarely have guests. Each seemed to be heavy-laden with burdens, pain and suffering. Bonnie cried the entire visit due to a lost wallet and an ungrateful family. We sat, listened and prayed for her while she cussed out her absent relatives. A brief moment of enthusiasm broke in as she showed off her new Elvis watch and hot pink pjs. The beauty of the hour revealed itself as we departed: her demeanor changed, she was overtly grateful and lighthearted as she extended open arms to each of us. Victory bells were ringing.

Once we arrived back at the shop for coffee time, I sat down and immediately was immersed in conversation with one of my favorite people, Ron. Ron is a soft-spoken, kind-hearted man who will speak his mind (largely concerning oppression) and who happens to be one of the most genuine people I've met here. We discussed the sufferings of his addictions, why Christians are hypocritical, and what it means to love unconditionally. Each week I'm astonished by the wisdom found in those we would deem poor and marginalized. Though their appearances might communicate messages of foolishness and indolence to the world, I often discover that they really are the bearers of truth, as we see in them so much of ourselves. Perhaps we avoid the outsiders because we are afraid of gazing into the mirror?

As Shane Claiborne says, "Looking into the eyes of the poor may be the clearest glimpse of God many of us get in this world."

I have to agree. Let's seek out those unexpected places and find the truths that liberate. I dare you to take a peek around that other corner and see what turns up...

No comments: