my thoughts on the goodness of life...

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dignified Feet

This morning I woke up to a less-than-usual winter wonderland. It was glorious, mostly because it meant I would receive a delay en route to my duties at Genesis. After preparing for my life-changing class on pedicures (insert chuckle), I scurried out the door to catch the #20 bus. Because Vancouverites love public transit as much as they love saying "eh?", I found myself packed in like a squished sardine - a less-than-desirable way to travel. Oh well, at least my only pair of semi-waterproof shoes were still dry.


Upon reaching my destination, I nearly knocked over 2 grannies and a small Asian man as I extracted my body from the congested carriage. Thankfully my remaining 15 minute walk provided much more pleasure as I feasted on the ravishing mountain landscape situated directly before me. And yes, my shoes were surprisingly still dry.

I proposed my usual prayer on the ascent up the stairs, requesting that God would take all my preconceived strategies of saving the world so that He could do it the right way. I entered the room and in my most charming tone of voice warmly greeted Nikki*, a woman who apparently doesn't enjoy snow, people, or friendly greetings. "Hello there!" I said. She replied by staring at the computer. "Dang, shot down," I thought. But she wasn't going to get the best of me as I entertained the thought of 'killing her with kindness.' Well, not literally. I instantly took another stab with a compliment on her cardigan. Nothing. Not even eye contact. This one was a tough cookie to crack.

I decided to let her soak in the shock of overt affection while I initiated another conversation with Charlene*. Charlene rocks. It's true that though I may not be able to understand where the heck her streams of consciousness are headed as she rambles on about strange things in fragmented sentences, she at least acknowledges my existence. And she complies with anything you ask her to do. Quite rare at a place like this.

After a round of board games, I set up shop for my lesson on foot therapy. Needless to say, Nikki wasn't enthralled. However, through a bit of coaxing as I depicted this event as revolutionary, she agreed to receive her very first pedicure. Victory #1.


Amazingly enough, this experience had the uncanny ability to defuse all animosity towards her previous irritations. Touching her feet with gentleness and care provoked laughter and an unpredicted tone of gladness that lightened everyone's spirits. I suppose I really shouldn't be all that surprised, considering that this was one of the Savior's most disarming acts of service. I reckon I might consider this Victory #2.

All this got me thinking as I prodded through the snow on the 2.5 mile walk home. Thinking about the power of kind words and tenacious compassion. How something so trivial as touching one's feet can impact their humanity as a person. You could almost feel the self-worth returning to her spirit.

On a tangent, I also perceived an awareness of what life must have been like for our grandparents trudging home miles after work in rain, sleet, and snow. No wonder they maintained their girlish figures so well.

And in case you're wondering....my shoes didn't come back in the way they had left. Sloshed.


*names changed for protection from crazies

2 comments:

DanThoms said...

I was reading this and thinking, how did you do all this today and write a blog about it, its still morning and than I realized hey, its not morning in Canada. Anyhow, this is a good blog. I give it an A+

Reverb said...

A+ also. I've rubbed down my share of old people feet for the Lord.

It kind of freaks me out at first...but once you get in there...it's actually pretty amazing.

I dig it.